Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Saturday 19 November 2011

Dirty bikes and wet bums

Slowly but surely getting back to riding, neck still sore, but physio has identified the problem, essentially a tangle of knotted up muscles around neck and shoulder. However today, the sun was out, the sky a glorious blue and whatever happened I was going to get on my bike and ride.
Only 23 miles, and not at great pace, maybe I am just not born to be a fast rider, but very very enjoyable. It's weird to be thinking that it was only 23 miles, as that's not a bad distance in itself, but not much of an achievement these days.
The bike got filthy and has a hideous squeak, so upon my return it was a good cleaning session and strip down of the rear derailleur. Not something I'd ever attempted before, in fact I'd never taken my own chain off before. What a biff.
Funnily enough, the process of cleaning and maintaining the bike is almost as much pleasure as the ride itself. Perhaps in future I'll save the energy and just go out for a bike clean.
With about a month off riding, not sure I'm going to make my 2000 mile target by the end of the year, not unless I get out and put some long miles in, or at least get out and do some riding in the dark. An experience I have yet to partake of.
One achievement I have, is that this must by now be the longest I have stuck with any form of voluntary fitness. Perhaps there's hope for a long life yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment