Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Saturday 10 March 2012

Targets met...

In the past week, I have passed the target of 4000km (the rules number 24) and 2500 miles (bugger the rules) Both are in fact within 15 miles of each other, but occurred on seperate rides. This being from April 2nd last year, so much to feel good about there.
So far I have reached Aswan in Egypt.
Still a few days to go before a full year is passed, and if the weather stays reasonable, I hope to get in another 200 or more, especially now nights are getting lighter.
Bike is almost running like a dream - I say almost - my highly rated and almost bomb proof tyres - have provided at least 5 punctures so far this year. The latest being yesterday, 48 miles into a 62 mile ride, not a good time to start getting cold and muscles tightening up. So I've taken the plunge and ordered new ones, much sooner than I would have expected to considering the cost of the ones that keep popping. This follows on from a new chain - having finally worked out what a chain wear tool does!  So more money being spent, does it never end? And I am still not finished with the bike build overall! Will I ever be?
I'm still up to scratch with this years resolution of doing a century every month - I must be getting okay at this cycling lark - remembering when 62 miles was quite daunting, I finished yesterday thinking it wouldn't have been much of a hardship to do considerably more. It was done on Romney Marsh, and I managed to achieve a total climb of less than 100 feet! Hardly King of the Mountains material! It will be a great one for the summer though, especially if I can get a day with less wind.
The soup dragon is laid up with a poorly foot, so me and the little Clangers are having to fend for ourselves. Planning ahead is what I am not used to, this means last minute what's for tea? questions lead to a frantic rummaging in the freezer for something delicious. I don't think I take soupy for granted, but it certainly makes a difference not having her doing so much for us.
Junior Clangers birthday tomorrow - how did I ever reach the point of having a youngest Clanger who is 17 years old? That must mean I am older than I feel.

Talking obese (I was but edited it out) - Kevin Bridges described the fat cycle this week - someone should do some science on it. Skinny people think they are chubby. Chubby people think they are fat. Fat people think they are obese. Obese people think they are supermodels. Funny.
Anyhow that's me caught up, next report will be after one full year of cycling, final review and probably last blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment