Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Thursday 28 April 2011

Cogitations

I find myself thinking about cycling a lot - which leads me to worry - am I obsessing? Not given to that particular passtime much, but often given to thinking a lot I am wondering why I seem to have caught such a bug? I'll let blog know when I have an answer. But onto more important things...
Now, I know fat people (most of them know who they are, others must be blind) and I am not fat - just a little mishapen around the middle. No big deal, but I don't like the look. This is exacerbated by my trust in the NHS. They are professionals right? They wouldn't lie to me would they? So I used their tool for BMI calculation just for a bit a reassurance you see,  only for it to appear in letters 10 inches high - or so it seems - Mr Knownothingbozo you really are a fat bastard. Officially over weight. With a BMI only 14 points below the truly enormous chap I had dealings with before my leave started.  (He was massive!)
I checked my figures and shouted at them for good measure, but no it's official, I am overweight. Turns out the hurtful ones who profess to love me, also have an eye for fatness.
Well this won't do, so it now looks like I have to do something about it. I can't run, dodgy knees from many years of running in army boots. Refuse to pay to go to a gym. Hate doing any sort of sit ups and stuff. So I am hoping cycling will be my salvation. I have read fat man on a bikes blog, he did it, I also saw a headline in a magazine about a bloke who lost 26 stones on a bike. A Surly I imagine, as these seem to be the only ones designed for elephants to ride.
So I am hoping my obsession will last - but not cost too much. I have to keep a lead on my senses, Mrs Knownothing was happy enough for me to spend (for us) a small fortune on a bike ("as long as you use it" said out loud but thinking "if you ever say no to another pandora bead..." but how many items of kit will she be happy for me to buy?
I am already harbouring dreams of upgrades, shiney cranksets by Shimano to match the gears, that will give me the full 105 groupset and you know just how vital this is....But what about the brakes.... don't they need to be the same .... of course, can't have a bike made up of mixy matchy bits.... you can see where this could all end up. Cycling down to the bankruptcy court that's where.

1 comment: