Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Friday 29 April 2011

A hill is still a hill

Perhaps this particular one should form part of the exciting things I have learned series - there is a hill the other side of Newington called Oak Hill. I have ridden it perhaps 10 times, mostly failed to get up it on my mountain bike, struggled to get up it on my hybrid and often failed, so last night I tried it on my road bike. Having been lulled into a false sense of security and spotted that I could even accelerate up a hill when I got my technique right, I reached the bottom of this one, and started out, confident that 20 Shimano gears would give me a nice choice to get to the top, still feeling as if my spine was intact. WRONG. It still killed me, I got to the top, much grunting and groaning, and breathing out of parts of my body with no recognised route to the lungs.

Ultimately I guess, it doesn't matter about the bike, (okay LA said it better) it's about the legs and heart. Mine are still beginners.

As I came down into Iwade I saw a group of club(?) riders all gathering, all gave me a strange look, maybe it was the tights, the mix and match long sleeve thermal top covered by lightweight cycle shirt (I don't have winter kit, and it felt like winter out there). They all had shiney bikes and lovely looking kit, so I expect it will be while before I consider giving that sort of thing a go.

Anyway - targets - that's what I am now looking at.
1. I want to get my 15 mile time down to less than 1 hour. This means that I have to shave 5 minutes off my time. Anyone know a 15 mile downhill in Kent?
2. I want the NHS to accept they were wrong and I am not overweight.
3. I want to reach 30 mph pedalling on the flat.
4. I want a crankset and brakes that are also Shimano 105. I don't really know why, but it seems that's where the money was saved on my bike.
5. 200 miles in one month - although this may turn out to easy?
6. By the end of June I want to cycle 50 miles in one go.
7. To carry on enjoying cycling as much as I am now, without having to give up on beer.

There are lots of other little targets that I think up as I am riding along, 20 mph minimum to the next lamp post, miss that cavernous pot hole, avoid that car, build a faster cadence. All adds to the fun, perhaps not the smartest training regime, but lack of actual regime is probably what will keep me going.
Last nights ride - 15.3 miles 1hr 5 minutes. 
Todays ride, as far and as lomg as it takes to miss the inherited wealth and position wedding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment