Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Things I am learning - posted 12apr2011

Took a ride out today, a chill wind blowing, which had the effect of clearing my mind of work and allowing me to realise that I have learnt some stuff already.

1. Riding a road bike, means that your average speed is higher - this means that if you crash the speed of your body hitting something like the ground will be higher. This in turn means it will hurt. Alot.
2. Riding a road bike means that if you crash, you are more likely to crash on a road. This in turn means that when you hit something it will be hard, like the road, or a metal post or a car. This in turn means it will hurt. Alot.
3. Riding a road bike is fun.

I may not be starting out with the most optimistic frame of mind, however if I do crash, at least I won't be surprised.

Given all the above, why is that people riding mountain bikes wear lots of protective clothing, where as people riding road bikes, ride as near to naked as is morally and legally possible? Just a thought. After all you don't actually crash into mountains do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment