Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Sunday 1 May 2011

Crashing into the Royal Wall

As I am firmly against hereditary position, and all the hooplah that goes with it, I decided to give the Royal Wedding a miss. I took a ride out to Faversham (wondering if the bike shop would be open - just to browse of course), knowing that there and back would be my longest ride yet (on this bike, still some way to go to beat my record). Had a very pleasant ride there, back lanes, very little traffic, beautiful scenery especially bluebells around the woods near Oare.
Kept a good constant speed of approaching 15 mph average, stopped at closed bike shop to eat sweets and raisins, and have some drink, then set off back. All is going well till I reach the outskirts of Sittingbourne at about 20 miles, and suddenly some big fat swine climbed on the back of my bike and hitched a lift, at the same time, my legs turned into the legs of a baby. I struggled back the last 3 miles, no thoughts of just rounding it up to 25 miles. Crikey what a feeling. Not so good.
I put it down to nutrition, on which I have done no research about at all, and it appears that it's not just a case of having a good breakfast (won't a fried egg banjo do?) but actually planning ahead. The chap I saw coming the other way at the top of a hill, resting with a hot cross bun in his mouth would probably be a good example.
Anyway on the bright side, I did 23.7 miles, still an average speed of 13.7 miles, still want to go out more. I got new glasses yesterday, with a choice of 4 lenses, in a carrier  that will need a rack to take with me.
That's now me totally kitted out, now for the upgrades.
As for the Royal Wedding - I'm a bit cross really, the couple are so lovely and genuinely in love, they may yet save the Royal Family from the ignominy and consignment to history that they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment