Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Thursday 26 May 2011

It's in his eyes

Like a couple of veterans CC and I would talk about bikes, wishful thinking, carbon or high end aluminium, splash all out or invest to upgrade. But behind those eyes was always the hidden message - "knownothingbozo you need more than a new bike - you need to do Charing hill." It's there behind the pleasantries, the laughs, all hiding the Charing Hill sneer. One that only someone who has looked at it in the eye first from the bottom then from the top. All the time the unspoken message - "first I rode up on my sisters Chopper, then freewheeled down, standing on the seat knownothingbozo you loser."
Well I did it.
Early finish today, I knew it was windy, I knew rain (heavy) was forecast. I had a plan, I even had a route printed out. Calculated at about 23 miles total, Bredgar - Doddington, Lenham - Charing - then back across to Doddington.

Anyway struggled to Lenham - there's some serious hills between Bredgar and there, so much so my average speed was only at about 10 mph. The whole way was against a strong wind. Then hammered along the A20, vicious side wind causing some serious wobbles. Then the HILL.

In reality it was okay, steady and not massively steep, but quite long. Sat down all the way, and felt fine getting to the top.

Those sign stealing crazies! They've been at it here as well. 

Glorious trip back towards where I was supposed to go, but then got utterly discombobulated with  my geography. Completely out of my printed map, so decided to ride to Faversham, upon arrival the heavens opened and I got drenched. Rode along the A2, effectively riding against a river coming towards me. Then down through Newnham, back to Doddington, more hills and back to Bredgar. 35 miles, instead of 23, average 11.8 miles an hour.
Utterly wasted. But victorious.

May target 200 miles.
1st Ride in May 3/5, todays ride brings total to 225 miles. Target met.

1 comment:

  1. You must have ridden the wrong hill, or you are fitter than you are letting on. My VW Beetle used to struggle up that hill!!

    ReplyDelete