Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Saturday 14 May 2011

Mu Mu's and moo moos

Two big issues today, the first of which started last night, out with friends, talking about going to a bar called mu mu's. In conversation with TT - you know who you are, don't hide you swine, he mentions the old KLF song, "justified and ancient" which is about being bound for mu mu land. We mention what a good song it was blah blah blah.
So this morning, I remember that conversation, and pull the song up on youtube. Result of which, the blasted thing accompanies me all the way to Whitstable and back. And it's drivel. Some washed up country singer who should have stood by her man instead of  bogging off to be Queen of mu mu land, whilst some chap called Ricardo entreats us to go fishing in the river of life. I checked my cyclists guide to rivers (available in no good book shops) and I'm sure he must mean the river Liffey. Well I'm sorry, it's a bit far to go for a days fishing so I'll give it a miss.
Part two of the big issue arrives when I get to Whitstable, and I remember a fact* I was once told. It's that cows (the moo moos of the title - see what I did there?) take 10 seconds to process a thought. So that's - thought - 10 seconds - act on it. Well I think many of the residents of Whitstable are cows. Thought - there's a cyclist coming, I won't step into the road now - count 10 seconds slowly, too late, you are already in the road grass munching bovine fool. Thought - there's a cyclist already coming along the road, I won't pull out of my parking space until he's past - count 10 seconds - too late, I'm nearly run off my bike as you pull out. You may have a disabled sticker and a wheelchair Chrysler driving muppet, but you also need an idiot sticker as well.
Anyhow to the ride - decided during the week that if I was going to take cycling seriously I need a new bike. Then I decided that the soup dragon was not likely to be letting that happen, so I'd better just get on with knocking out the miles. My plan was to make sure I did a 40 miler, not sure of the distances, I set out to potentially ride to Herne Bay, but at the least Whitstable and back. In the end I settled for Whitstable, and a ride of 44.5 miles in total. With the wind quite nastily against me most of the way back. Not good planning in the wind department, as I was clearly knackered just doing the first 22 miles.
All in all, 44.5 miles, 3 hours 21, average 13.2. The distance is certainly furthest I have ever done. For the most part very enjoyable.
Update on May 200 mile target - so far I have done 138 miles. 
*the fact that I was told this fact is a fact, the fact itself may not actually be true. However if seeing is believing is a fact, then the above fact is also a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment