Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Monday 2 May 2011

A bit windy for an old bloke

Out for the first ride of May today, that means it's my first contribution to my 200 mile month target. 11 miles in a very stiff breeze, which I am sure changed direction to make sure it was never behind me. Unless it was behind me when I was hurtling down an enormous hill at 28 mph, thinking holy shmolie this is fast. In fact it was, too fast for my liking, so I discovered that my brakes (not yet upgraded) are not up to stopping me particularly well at that speed.
I had a stroke of luck though, being unfamiliar with the area, I didn't know that the bottom of the hill was a give way, and not quite getting to a speed where I could stop or jump off, I reached the bottom. Out in the middle of nowhere, would you believe it, two cars (the first a Range Rover) on the road I was entering. Here's where the luck struck - both had stopped to turn up the hill I had just sped down. So on I carried, looking for all the world as if I knew what I was doing. Phew.
Followed my more phews, grunts and swear words when I got to the next hill, which was inevitably going up. Not once did I get off though, despite thinking about it.
Anyhow nice ride, and one I shall explore more when the wind is slightly less severe, as at times it was doing it's best to blow me over sideways or send me riding backwards.
Got home, got my daughter to take a photo of me, bike bound and in full regalia. I really do have a fat belly, so I'd better get into some serious cycling, faffing around is done.
Minor milestone achieved today - now passed 150 miles on this bike. Brought on 2nd April. So 1st full month of ownership and I have done 159 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment