Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Sunday 31 July 2011

Me and my invisible bike.

Now, lets get this straight. I am a car driver. I hate cyclists who act like knobs. Because of that when I am cycling, I stop at all red lights, I signal to let people know where I am going. In short I obey the rules of the road, because if someone runs into me, I will sue your freaking arse off. After I have broken your snotter for you. However it seems I am wasting my time. Once I get on my bike, with my orange top, white helmet and sunburnt skin, it appears I turn invisible. It's a special type of invisible though, so not necessarily useful in a super hero / villain kind of way. I become invisible to small dicked, brain damaged, pimple faced morons in Renault Clios and other similar cars. What is it about these people? Go back to the start of the previous sentence and I appear to have answered my own question.

Bike stuff. I have now reduced the weight of my bike by 1kg, nearly all in rotational weight - new wheels, tubes and tires, and its running beautifully. Readers will obviously know that rotational weight is far more important than static weight, I won't insult your intelligence with the equations etc. Rather shocked and a tad peed off to discover state of my hubs on the old wheels, less than two months after full service by Evans. No wonder I am struggling to achieve decent regular speeds.
Yesterdays ride was 50 miles, average speed of 16.4 mph, an improvement of 1.9 over my best for a 40+ mile ride. It will now be interesting to see how my times improve on my other regular runs.
This month I have done over 300 miles for the first time. Another milestone ticked off. In August I have to do the same, as I have a target of cycling the equivalent distance to Rekjavik before September. So far I am at Split in Croatia! Getting over the Alps was easier than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment