Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Monday 4 July 2011

Highs and lows

Just back from a lovely week camping with the adorable soup dragon in south Devon, glad I didn't take my bike, anyone who cycles there is either:
1. Psychopathic.
2. On more steroids than the entire entry for Mr. Universe.
3. Professional.
There is one ideal cycle route from Torcross, to Strete. One half a mile of beautiful seaside flat road, burger bar at one end, pub at the other. Other than that, 16% hills, and warnings  "cyclists dismount" abound. You jokers, I'd have dismounted back in Torcross and stayed at the pub.
Anyway, a week of good breakfasts, heavy on the cholesterol, and nice beer were ideal preparation for a ride yesterday, 42 miles of absolute torture. I quite like Charing Hill, it's a good challenge and a great ride after it. However for me to even get there I have to cycle up the longest most soul destroying hill from Doddington. I hate it and dread it. It may be in fact my own personal nemesis.
Weird thing cycling, yesterday I was totally bonked, but managed 14.5 mph average. This evening, feeling good, 22 mile ride, felt like I was flying and managed a paltry 1 mph improvement. WTF?????
It's all head games. The main thing, this evening I remembered how much fun it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment