Welcome

This blog aims to chart my rise from middle aged, slightly overweight lazy so and so, to lean, mean cycling machine. Done on a budget in both terms of money and time, if it inspires you great, if it amuses you great also.

Sunday 17 July 2011

Windy decisions

It's demoralising, having ridden well over 700 miles since the beginning of April, started out with an average speed of 15 mph, now three and a half months later, my average speed is exactly the same. It's not for want of effort, today I rode 17 miles, and tried my level best to go at it as hard as I could all the way. I was well stocked up on carbs, etc, yes it was windy, but so is every single ride I do. Average speed - 15.6 mph, whoopy flipping do.
You read the blogs, and people are talking about average speeds of 20+, I know it doesn't happen overnight, but surely there has to be some improvement.
So it's got me thinking - what do I ride a bike for? Belly is still there, average speed not increasing, where is the tangible result? I guess at the beginning I wouldn't have been able to ride 100km in one go, and I do enjoy just being out and about. Perhaps todays big effort with little reward is just a downer.
Had a dream bike in mind, Cannondal Super Six, and was supposed to be saving for that, instead I have given up, and now plan to just upgrade the current bike, starting with new wheels. Lots of people say wheels and tyres are the things that make the biggest difference, so now I'm going to put the experts to the test. New tyres on the birthday list, and a bit of overtime will pay for new wheels. If that doesn't make any difference I may have to accept that I am doomed to be a fat twat, and will probably die early. Oh well. Shit happens.

2 comments:

  1. Have a look at Easton wheels, from what I've read they are one of the best for value. They are also all hand made in the factory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and once you've upgraded your bike to the max, buy a supersix frame and you are there!

    Easier to justify many small expenses than one big one, even if they total more!!

    ReplyDelete